EducationUSA Mentorship Program


Do you have a question? If so please, don’t hesitate to contact us.




  • When should I start preparing for my applications?

Start as early as possible. You may need to start researching your options one to two years prior to your study. During that time you will be preparing for the tests, gathering experience, meaningful extracurricular activities, researching scholarship possibilities, schools and majors. Some students start only a few months before deadlines, but they already have reflected on their goals, collected relevant information on school(s) and financing, and prepared to take necessary test immediately. However, don’t forget you will need official transcripts from high school or university, some of which may need to be translated or evaluated, as well as recommendation letters. Planning ahead is extremely important.


  • How do I choose the right school?

There are many ways to choose your school, and most likely you will end up going to the right school no matter how you do it. Eight out of ten people who are asked if they had to do it again, say they would go back to the same school. Some people choose it because they know someone who’s graduate from there or they they have read or heard about it. Others choose it because there is a strong program in the discipline of their choice. Or you may apply to a school because it offers a scholarship that suits your profile. Or you want to go to a school in Washington state, or California. There are many ways to do it. The important thing is to commit yourself to go to school, do the work, be open-minded and have longer term goals.


  • Most of my friends want to apply to the same 2 or 3 schools?

There are many hidden gems in American higher education. A greater proportion of international students are more likely to just go down the list in the U.S. News and not understand the diversity of institutions in the United States that deliver a really high-quality education. International students need even more information to understand fit, opportunities for engagement and moving beyond only the few most-known American universities.


  • How many schools should I apply to?

We recommend 6 for undergraduate applicants and at least 3 for graduate applicants. Be sure to categorize to levels of selectivity: Reach, Target, and Safety schools. However, that is not a set rule. You may start with a list of 15 possible choices and narrow it down. Some people apply to only 1 or 2 schools because they cannot afford the application fee. Keep in mind, under certain circumstances, you can request for a fee waiver.


  • How do I finance my studies?

There are various options to finance your studies, such as self-funding, scholarship, student loan and grants.


  • How do I write a good essay?

A good essay should be thoughtful, informative and it should sound like YOU! The best essays cannot be rushed to meet a deadline. If you read the essay questions, walk away and mull them over, an essay topic will often come to you when you least expect it – in the bus, during a conversation with friend or family. Take the question, think about it and make it your own. Go to the workshop on essay for more hints.


  • Can I work while studying?

Generally speaking, you are not supposed to work while studying as an international student. Studying full-time is time consuming. However, you may be allowed to work part time while studying, subject to the requirements from your school. Check with the school.


  • What is TOEFL?

TOEFL is a standardized English language test. Go to the ETS website for more information on TOEFL. All international students are required to take the test. Generally speaking, it is easier than the SAT or ACT tests.


  • Do all schools require the SAT?

No some colleges do not require the SAT. For a list of the schools, please refer here. (U.S. school not requiring SAT from google drive)


  • Can I use IELTS instead of TOEFL?

Some schools accepts only IELTS scores, but some only accept TOEFL scores.


  • How do I choose the right city?

You should consider a lot of factors, such as living cost, weather preference as well as your personality.

Talk to someone who has lived in that city. Feel free to contact us with . We may be able to find  a member of our program who has studied in the city you are considering.  There are many web sources with  useful information on lifestyle and anything else about a city.




  • What is the difference between college and university?

Most people use both terms to indicate higher education studies and use college and universities interchangeably. However, there are difference. Colleges tend to be smaller and offer undergraduate degrees. Universities, tend to be bigger and offer graduate degrees.


  • Can I transfer from an Indonesian university to an American university?

A large number of schools transfer from an Indonesian university to an American university. You can contact the school admission division for more information on transferring as well as the requirements.


  • What tests do I have to take?

You will have to ask the specific school on what tests they will need. Schools need to know the degree of your preparedness, so they will most likely require document translations, assessments and possible standardized tests.


  • What is SAT?

SAT is a standardized test used for college admissions in the United States. Go to the SAT website for more information on the test.




  • What is the difference between GRE and GMAT?

GRE is a test required for admission to most graduate schools and several business schools. GMAT is a test required for admission to most business schools.


  • Do I need to have working experience before taking graduate study?

Some schools require a minimum amount of working experience prior to applying, while some do not. We recommend that you have working experience before taking graduate study to maximize your learning experience.


  • What is the difference between the early review track and regular track?

Early review track is an application cycle that is earlier than the regular track. Some schools that provide the early review track program require the application documents to be submitted and completed earlier, usually around one month before the regular track and will issue a decision earlier.


  • Who should write my recommendation letters?

Depending on the requirement from your school, you may need to submit an academic recommendation letter from your professor and/or a recommendation letter from your current or former employer. It is important to get a recommendation letter from a person who knows you well.


  • Can I bring my spouse and/or child?

Yes you can.


Visa Application


  • What kind of visa should I apply for?

You will be applying for F-1 visa. Fore more information please click here (Student Visa Application FAQs)


  • When should I start applying for my student visa?

Once you have received all the necessary documents from the school you have chosen to attend. That is usually 3-5 months prior to beginning of school.


  • How long does it take for my visa to be issued?

Usually it takes 3 workdays after your interview.


Student Visa Application


Become familiar with the student visa requirements and allow plenty of time to prepare your application.


  • What kind of visa should I apply for?
  • F-1 Student Visa: the most common visa for those who want to study in the United States. It is for individuals who want to study at an accredited U.S. college or university or study English at a university or intensive English language institute.
  • M-1 Student Visa: this visa is for those who will be engaged in non-academic or vocational study or training in the United States.


When should I start applying for my student visa?

3 – 5 months prior to U.S study will be an ideal time to apply for the student visa.

Once you receive the required documentation, you can make an appointment with the U.S. embassy or consulate to apply for a visa. Even if you do not intend to begin your program for several months, it is best to apply as early as possible.


Below is the Step-by-Step Visa Application Process:

STEP 1: Receive your certificate of eligibility for nonimmigrant student status: Form I-20 (for F or M visa).

  •     To apply for a visa, you must first have received a Form I-20. The U.S. academic institution or program sponsor will provide you with the appropriate form only after you have:
  1. Been admitted to a SEVP-approved institution.
  2. Provided evidence that you can meet all the costs of the program.


  • The academic institutions that admit you will send you a Form I-20 (for F or M visa) depending on the visa that matches your study status.

STEP 2: Pay SEVIS fee.

  •      You must pay a SEVIS fee and fill out other visa applications forms (DS160 form) prior to your visa interview. Go to the SEVIS I-901 fee processing website < > for complete information about paying your SEVIS fee. Follow the instructions carefully. For more information, you may also visit the Study in the States website for students.

STEP 3: Schedule Your Interview and Apply for Your Visa


What are the required documents for my visa application?

  • Passport valid for travel to the United Sates – must be valid for at least six (6) months beyond your period of stay in the United States. Make sure that your name is spelled correctly and appears the same on all documents.
  • Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 confirmation page.
  • Appointment confirmation page
  • Application fee payment receipt, if you are required to pay before your interview.       Non-refundable visa application fee is USD 160.
  • Photo – You will upload your photo while completing the online Form DS-160, At the interview time you must bring one printed photo in the format explained in the Photograph Requirements.
  • Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status-For Academic and Language Students, Form I-20A-B or Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (M-1) Student Status for Vocational Students, Form I-20M-N.
  • SEVIS fee payment receipt


How long does it take for my visa to be issued?

  • Generally your visa will be issued 3 workdays after your interview. Some cases may need additional processing. In such cases, applicants will be notified.